Just for fun … below is a list of 5 characteristics that might suggest you should be a fiction writer.
- You often find that you are having chats with yourself or with [imaginary] people. Perhaps you find yourself working out where a conversation will go or should go and what you will say in response to the other [imaginary] person … you have a script in which that dialog happened!
- It isn’t enough for you to just have the now story, you want to know why someone or something is the way it is and what was the defining moment … You enjoy the backstory and the plot twist.
- When you go to your happy place, it isn’t a real place. A country walk, a friend’s house, a pub … they are pleasant enough but the best place is in you own head … you have a world where anything can happen and is shaped for you.
- You find that you haven’t followed the conversation of your [real] friends and have somehow missed whole chunks ……………………… during which you have drifted off into some other place and had some moment of enlightenment or adventure ….
- Lots of your favourite friends can be taken wherever you go … unfortunately they are 11pt text on a page.
… of course these might also mean that you should get out more often – which could also suggest that you are already a writer and spending too much time at your laptop and not with the real world!